Time: 1 hour
You’ve uncovered the grill, dusted off your outdoor furniture, and followed these steps to prep for enjoying time outside on your deck. The final thing to do before you start relaxing? Treat any mold or mildew that might be hanging on (or underneath) your deck’s surfaces, in just a few easy steps.
What's in it for you?
- Extend the life of your deck
- Avoid expensive damages
Safety first. Before you start, make sure you’re geared up to work with mold or mildew. Gloves, protective goggles, and a respiratory mask are highly recommended.
Start with a clean slate. Make sure your deck is clear of furniture or other items. With a broom or brush, sweep away any dirt, twigs, or leaves that may have collected.
Pro Tip: Avoid getting the surface wet at this point– it’ll make it harder for the treatment solution to soak in.
- Mix it up. Stir one cup of oxygenated bleach with two gallons of hot water. If you can’t find oxygenated bleach, use roughly the same amount of regular dish soap as a substitute.
Pro Tip: Never (ever) use chlorine bleach when cleaning your deck. It poses a risk to your yard and the local ecosystem.
Scrub it well. Working in sections, generously spread the treatment solution over your deck surface and scrub with a stiff brush. Let it soak for at least ten minutes. Don’t forget your railings and stairs!
Hose everything down. Wash off all the solution and any remaining dirt. Too much water pressure can damage your deck, so stay away from high-intensity power washers.
Dry it out. Let everything dry completely before walking on your deck or replacing any furniture. Repeating this process once a year will prevent mold and mildew from re-forming.