Time: 30-45 minutes
Just like your roofing and siding, your windows and doors are constantly exposed to the elements. A tight seal is your first line of defense, helping you prevent water damage and keep your home comfortable year-round.
As the weather warms, donâ€™t make your HVAC work harder than it needs to. Keep that cold air inside, and lower your energy bills with this check-up.
Whatâ€™s in it for you?
- Fewer repairs
- Lower energy bills
What youâ€™ll need:
- Candle or incense
- Caulk and caulking gun
- Putty knife
Find Out if You Have a Leak:
- Check the base of your exterior doors. If light is peeking through the bottom, the door sweep or gasket (rubber seal) will need to be replaced.
- Check for tears and deformities in the caulking around your windows. Cracks and chips along the frame of a window or window pane are a common source of leaks.
- Hold a candle or incense stick near your windows and exterior doors. If the flame bends, or the smoke is being pulled toward the door or window, you have an leak. Make sure your HVAC unit is off before doing this test.
- Press your fingertips lightly against the glass of each window pane. If the pane rattles in the casing, the putty has loosened and should be replaced.
To Replace the Caulking:
- Use a putty knife to scrape away chipped or torn caulking.
- Use the caulking gun to apply a thin layer of caulk around the frames. You can use a putty knife to smooth it into the edges and corners.
- Check the weather report for signs of storms. Bad weather can erase all of your hard work, so make sure you time your caulking repair during a couple of rain-free days.
While youâ€™re checking for leaks, itâ€™s a great time to replace broken, worn, or missing hardware, and to tighten and lubricate hinges on your windows and doors. If you noticed any condensation between the glass panes of your double or triple glazed windows during the winter months, the weather seal has been compromised and youâ€™ll want to repair the glass or replace the window.
Find a problem? Call us at 844-99-SUPER and weâ€™ll send a Pro ASAP.