Time: 5 minutes
No one enjoys a trip to the laundromat. Extend the life of your washer and dryer by keeping them level to the ground. If they’re not, you can cause permanent damage to the door, lid, tub, and rubber door seal each time you use the machine.
It’s easy to spot (or hear) an unlevel machine - it will rattle, shake, and can even move across the floor. Grab 5 minutes and a bubble level this weekend, and do a simple level-check to avoid unnecessary repairs.
What’s in it for you?
- Longer machine life
- Fewer repairs
- Quiet laundry days
What do you need?
- Bubble level
- Wrench or screwdriver
- A friend or family member
- Anti-vibration pads (optional)
To Check the Level:
- Make sure your washer and dryer are placed on a hard surface. Soft surfaces, like carpet, can create an uneven plane for the feet of the machine.
- Try rocking the washer and dryer back and forth, and from side to side. If it wobbles, the legs are not secure, and the machine is not level.
- Place a bubble level on each of the 4 sides of the machine. This will help you identify which leg(s) need to be adjusted. You can also download a level app on your phone for free in a pinch (<a href="https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.androgames.level&hl=en"_blank">Android, <a href="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bubble-level-free-for-iphone/id465613917?mt=8"_blank">iPhone).
- If the bubble is centered between the lines on the tube, your machine is level, and you’re all set!
To Level Your Machine:
- Carefully move the machine away from the wall with the help of a friend or family member.
- Slowly tip the machine and use a wrench or screwdriver to adjust the leg(s) up or down as needed. Make sure to tighten each leg after reaching the desired height.
- Place a bubble level on each of the 4 sides of the machine to determine which leg(s) need to be adjusted. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until all of the legs are level.
- Once the legs are level, you can add <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Washer-Anti-Vibration-Anti-Walk-Pads-VIBRAFIX/dp/B0051S4ZZM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462924077&sr=8-1&keywords=anti+vibration+pads+washer"_blank">anti-vibration pads under each foot of the machine to prevent skidding, absorb vibration, and to make the machine more stable.
- Try rocking the washer and dryer back and forth, and from side to side. It shouldn’t wobble. Once you’re sure the legs are even, move the machine back into place.
- As a final test, run a small load of laundry in each machine. If you don’t detect any extra movement, your machines are ready to (no longer) rumble.
Don't want to DIY? Give us a call at 844-99-SUPER to schedule an expert to do it for you.