Time: 5 minutes
No one enjoys a trip to the laundromat. Extend the life of your washer and dryer by keeping them level to the ground. If theyâ€™re not, you can cause permanent damage to the door, lid, tub, and rubber door seal each time you use the machine.
Itâ€™s easy to spot (or hear) an unlevel machine - it will rattle, shake, and can even move across the floor. Grab 5 minutes and a bubble level this weekend, and do a simple level-check to avoid unnecessary repairs.
Whatâ€™s in it for you?
- Longer machine life
- Fewer repairs
- Quiet laundry days
What do you need?
- Bubble level
- Wrench or screwdriver
- A friend or family member
- Anti-vibration pads (optional)
To Check the Level:
- Make sure your washer and dryer are placed on a hard surface. Soft surfaces, like carpet, can create an uneven plane for the feet of the machine.
- Try rocking the washer and dryer back and forth, and from side to side. If it wobbles, the legs are not secure, and the machine is not level.
- Place a bubble level on each of the 4 sides of the machine. This will help you identify which leg(s) need to be adjusted. You can also download a level app on your phone for free in a pinch (Android, iPhone).
- If the bubble is centered between the lines on the tube, your machine is level, and youâ€™re all set!
To Level Your Machine:
- Carefully move the machine away from the wall with the help of a friend or family member.
- Slowly tip the machine and use a wrench or screwdriver to adjust the leg(s) up or down as needed. Make sure to tighten each leg after reaching the desired height.
- Place a bubble level on each of the 4 sides of the machine to determine which leg(s) need to be adjusted. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until all of the legs are level.
- Once the legs are level, you can add anti-vibration pads under each foot of the machine to prevent skidding, absorb vibration, and to make the machine more stable.
- Try rocking the washer and dryer back and forth, and from side to side. It shouldnâ€™t wobble. Once youâ€™re sure the legs are even, move the machine back into place.
- As a final test, run a small load of laundry in each machine. If you donâ€™t detect any extra movement, your machines are ready to (no longer) rumble.
Don't want to DIY? Give us a call at 844-99-SUPER to schedule an expert to do it for you.