Time: 30 minutes
Get the New Year off to a great start by tackling some of those nagging maintenance tasks you've been putting off. Taking care of these easy tasks will help you build momentum on a 2018 filled with home improvement accomplishments.
What's in it for you?
- Improved functioning of home hardware
- Improved security
- Renewed sense of pride in your home
Focus on these Fast Fixes for Your Home:
- Inspect doors for loose knobs and hinges. Open and close each door fully, and look for loose knobs that rattle or spin too far. Use the appropriate screwdriver to tighten set screws. If you're missing screws, measure the hole in the hardware and purchase a replacement at the hardware store. Likewise, check hinges for loose screws and tighten these as necessary.
- Lubricate squeaky hinges. A squeaky, creaky door doesn't have to annoy you for the rest of the year. To oil the hinges and stop the sounds, use needle nosed pliers to lift out the hinge pin, making sure to keep the door in place as you do so. Wipe the hinge pin clean and apply a few drops of new lubricant -- WD-40 or even cooking oil will work. Replace the hinge pin and repeat for the remaining hinges.
- Lubricate sticky knobs. If your door inspection revealed knobs that are difficult to turn, they will also benefit from a good oiling. Start by spraying some WD-40 into the keyhole and pushing the key in and out of the lock to spread the oil. If that doesn't finish the job, unscrew the faceplates on both knobs and slide them off the doors, then remove the latch plate and latch. Oil the parts thoroughly before reassembling the lockset in the reverse order of taking it apart.
Pro Tip: Don't tighten any screws while reinstalling your doorknobs until you've dry fitted all the pieces together.