Time: 15 minutes
You load your clothes, drop in some soap, and press the power button. Easy! Except when a cycle takes forever or your clothes come out dripping, or even worse, the washing machine makes scary noises. Don’t worry — it’s likely just a clogged washer drain pump filter. Clean this filter every two months for more efficient washing.
What’s in it for you?
- Faster rinse cycles
- Higher unit efficiency
- Increased washer life
Clean Your Washer Drain Pump for More Efficient Washing
- Open your washer’s filter access door. You’re looking for a small, rectangular door on the bottom right-hand corner of your machine. Once you’ve found it, get it open. Some doors have a push and release mechanism and just need a firm tap to open. For all other access doors types, use a flathead screwdriver to wedge it open.
- Unhook the emergency drain hose. You should see two things behind the filter access door: a round dial and a rubber hose. Unhook the hose from the clip holding it in place.
- Empty the hose. Grab a bowl and spread a towel on the floor to soak up any stray drops of water. Hold the drain hose over the bowl and remove the cap. Water will fill the bowl. If it gets too full, just replace the cap, empty the bowl and repeat until the water stops flowing.
- Remove the drain pump filter. It’s the round dial that was next to your drain hose. Rotate it counterclockwise until you can remove the filter from your washer. Easy!
- Clean the drain pump filter. Grab a towel or washcloth and head over to your sink. Rinse away any accumulated debris or gunk and wipe your filter with the towel. Who knows — you might even find some coins you lost years ago. Don’t forget to wipe down the washer’s drain pump compartment as well.
- Replace the drain pump. Now that your filter is clean and you’ve found all your missing change, put the drain pump filter back and turn it clockwise to lock it into place. Replace the cap on the emergency drain hose and secure the hose back inside the washer. Close the access door and you’re ready to do a fresh load of laundry in record time.
Pro Tip: Don’t do laundry without checking your pockets. Change and other loose objects that find their way into the drain pump will decrease the lifespan of your machine.