Time: 30 minutes
The clothes you put into the washing machine aren’t the only things that need to be cleaned. Clean and care for your machine regularly in a few easy steps to prevent washer breakdowns.
What’s in it for you?
- Fewer repairs
- Improved machine efficiency
- Longer machine life
What do you need?
- Lemon juice
- Sponge or cloth
Giving your machine a monthly check-up, inside and out, to make sure everything’s in working order can keep it running longer.
Avoid one of the most common causes of water damage in homes: burst washing machine hoses.
- Inspect hoses for bulges, loose fittings, cracks and leaks.
- Replace hoses every three to five years, or sooner if you notice any damage.
Don’t forget to inspect the interior of the machine as well. The washer drum can be prone to corrosion so look for any exposed metal or rust.
- Check for any warped or damaged metal. Wrap old pantyhose around your hand and run it along the inside of the washer drum to check for any rough areas. Snags on the pantyhose signal a problem.
- See some rust? Toss two cups of lemon juice into the washer and run a cycle on the hottest setting. If you aren’t able to remove the rust, it might be time for a new machine.
Keep it Clean
On a monthly basis:
- Clean the the drain pump filter on front-loading washers (consult your owner’s manual to locate the drain pump filter), and clean any rubber gaskets or door seals.
- Wipe down the washer drum with a mix of warm water and vinegar.
- Clean out the detergent dispenser by pouring in two cups of heated vinegar (warmed up in the microwave) and let it sit for ten minutes.
- Run an empty load on the hottest setting to disinfect the drum and remove any traces of vinegar.
- Residue from liquid fabric softener can build up too so use a damp rag and hot water to keep your fabric softener dispensers clean.
Spill a little detergent or fabric softener on the machine? Don’t wait to clean it up. Most appliances are painted with enamel that can easily be damaged by bleach, ammonia and other chemicals.
Find a problem? Give us a call at 844-99-SUPER and we’ll send a pro ASAP.