8 Things You Need to Know About Your Microwave

There’s a reason more than 90% of American households have a microwave. From warming up leftovers to dinner on the go, it’s hard to resist the convenience of a hot meal in minutes. The average microwave lifespan is 9 years, but the way you use your machine can have a big impact on its longevity.

What’s in it for you?

  • Fewer repairs
  • Longer machine life
  • Improved machine efficiency

What You Need to Know:

  1. Don’t slam it shut - Microwave doors generally have three latch switches that must close in a particular order. Slamming the door can alter this order and blow a fuse.
  2. Never run it empty - In the absence of food or liquid, energy isn’t absorbed and bounces around the microwave cavity, causing it to overheat and damaging the unit.
  3. Protect it from surges - Of all the appliances in your kitchen, power surges are particularly damaging to microwaves. Protect your circuitry by unplugging it when it’s not in use, or by plugging it into a surge protector.
  4. Keep it clean - Food and liquid splatters absorb energy, leading to permanent burn spots.
  5. Use microwave-safe dishware - Believe it or not, many glass products aren’t microwave safe. If the dishware you are using gets hot, or hotter than the food you’re heating up, it’s most likely not microwave safe. Never put dishware with metal parts, or aluminum foil in the microwave.
  6. Use preset cooking times - Programmed cooking times are designed to maximize efficiency, and can heat your food more effectively while conserving energy.
  7. Avoid heating water in the microwave - Water can become hotter than boiling, a condition called “superheating,” when heated in the microwave. The water may not appear to be boiling, but a buildup of energy can cause the water to instantly and violently burst. While not common, it’s best to use a stovetop kettle, or to put something in the cup with the water (a wooden stir stick, tea bag, etc.) to diffuse the energy before heating it up.
  8. Never replace electronic components yourself - Certain parts of your microwave, like the capacitor, can store thousands of volts of electricity even after it has been unplugged. Replacing these parts can be extremely dangerous and should only be done by a professional.

Find a problem? Give us a call at 844-99-SUPER and we’ll send a Pro ASAP.

Sign up for home care updates:

PREV

Get Your Garbage Disposal Grinding Again

Time: 10 minutes Your garbage disposal keeps your home from smelling like last night’s leftovers. When it’s…

NEXT

Fire Extinguisher Safety Check

Time: 10 Minutes Before lighting up the BBQ and sparklers this 4th of July, make sure your fire extinguishers…